Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Whole New World!

Coming into the Peace Corps, I knew that I would meet new people, learn a new language and live in a different culture, but I had no idea that it would be a great networking platform for me. I have met so many expats and volunteers from other countries and it's opened up a whole realm of different opportunities for me.

I've met ambassadors, mayors, other government officials, NGO reps and various other interesting people. My encounters with them have got me thinking of doing more international work, especially as my french-skills improve. Who knows, I might try working a year abroad somewhere.

Also, living/working here has caused me to be less afraid of taking chances and making mistakes. I make mistakes every day and it's alright, because as long as I make an effort, I know I've done my job. I have to take meetings with mayors, government officials, school officials and village chiefs in French, Bambara and Frambra (French/Bambara) and I'm not fluent in either, but I have to stand for my cause: the Malian-youth. These experiences are helping me to be a better, more cofindent me.

So, who knows who I'll be or what I'll be doing 1.5 years from now!

1 comment:

  1. it's amazing how many possibilities there are! do you remember when we sang as children "I am a promise, i am a possibility, i am a promise, with a capital P. i am a great big bundle of potentiality!"

    this was such an exciting post to read!

    ReplyDelete