Saturday, February 26, 2011

Just Breathe

So, a lot has happened over the past month and a half. This is the main reason why I haven't updated this blog.

I had a very rough January/part of February. After the Christmas break, I caught cold and I went in to see the doctor to find that my blood pressure was sky-high, 160/100! I, stupidly, hadn't been taking my medicine and the doctor made me stay in Bamako to get tested for various things for a week. They found that everything is fine, physically and I've lost 30 lbs. Since then, I had to come into Bamako every week to get my blood pressure checked. From coming in to talk with my doctor, we found that my high BP was caused by stress and anxiety, not because of my work, but because of my environment.

I have been living in one room, in a concession with 30 or so people , and it had finally taken its toll on me. There was always constant questioning and teasing from girls in my compound, who are clearly jealous of me and it got to me. But, it wasn't the actual teasing that got to me, it was the lack of personal space over a length of 6-months. Can you imagine living like this? I was feeling cornered-in and this is why I was having anxiety attacks. I couldn't focus on my work, I was escaping village whenever I could to get my much needed space.

But now, things are a lot better. I made my voice heard at the Peace Corps office and they have acted quickly on helping my family build my house! There was talk of PC finding me a new home outside of my families concession, but they decided it would not be safe. Therefore, I'll have three-rooms and a gwa (patio) built in my families concession. It will be finished by March 10th!

No comments:

Post a Comment