Saturday, May 28, 2011

Test-taking

During this week, the 10th and 11th form classes are taking their final exams. I decided to be a test-monitor and get the goods on the cheating ways of Malian students......and I'm bored. With such large classrooms and not enough lazy teachers, it's sooooo easy for these kids to cheat! But, cheating is having the answer given to them, and according to my teacher-friend, Abdoulay, the African-mindset, not just Malian, is that they should be given things. I really don't understand where that comes from, when Malians live such a hard life, but I find it to be fact.

Oh, but before I get off track, these students think they are so slick. They must've gotten by with these tactics for years with their teachers, but I'm a behavioral scientist. There's nothing these kids could get past me. I took away many cell phones, cheat sheets, headphones, seperated kids. These fools had nothing on me and the real teachers were missing all of this. Like, do they care? I told one teacher to take away someones cell phone and he told me that that was a great idea! Huh?! Duh!
It's almost like, the teachers just want the kids to get by. Well, I know that's not true, but test-taking needs to be taken more seriously and catching cheating is about teaching discipline and respect for oneself and others.

I don't know what the rules are about cheating, except that it's wrong, but what are the consequences? I grew up with threats of detention, suspension, expulsion, marks on my permanent record and law-suits. There's a reason for having these consequences, because cheating is not acceptable. It shows bad character.

No comments:

Post a Comment