Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thoughts on God/Love

I think that one big difference between God and us is that, he gave first and continues to give without expecting anything in return. But, in order for us to give, we have to have had something given to us first. So, God had to give first to make the world go 'round.

I came to this realization today, as a shared three meals with three different groups of people. I've never witnessed this type of sharing in America, and I'm still a tiiiiiiny bit hesitant when food is first offered to me, but this is one particular aspect of Mali that I truly admire and appreciate.

It's the "It takes a village to raise a child mentality," that has such a strong presence here and it's so awesome. Everyone (mostly) invites others to eat with them, because they know that their children are being fed at someone else's home. I see this as a true act of love.

Furthermore, I think that whoever receives, should give, and it doesn't have to go the other way around, but it does, someway or another. Which got me thinking about my service here, as it comes to an end, what else can I do? Who else can I help? With all of my general projects, I like doing them and I see purpose in them, but I would really like to find a young person who I can really pour into and see flourish.

There is this young girl, Awa "Gaffou," who I've taken a real liking too. I've come to know her since I've asked her to help me conduct my Girl's Empowerment course. She's a senior in high school who plans to continue her studies at university to become a lawyer for women and children's rights. Sounds like an awesome girl, right!? She's a nice, respectful and vocal person, who seems to have a good head on her shoulders. And I'd like to help her stay motivated, even after I'm gone.

Okay, so I know I've gone on some tangents here, but my point is, with all this love shown to me over this 1.5 yr, there's still so much I want to give back. And I hope that the love that I plant here will continue to grow, and contribute to the greater good that keeps the world spinning.

2 comments:

  1. yea this post is ALL over the place. but it's really special and really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete