Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Here's a list of my favorite foods

Mooni - balls of grain that are like the texture of peach cobbler dough, mixed with water, sugar, and spices that make it taste like apple sauce

Wosso - fried sweet potatoes (I like to eat this with salt and foronto, a spicy pepper sauce)

Pate - fried bread with spices. You can also put meats, fish and veggies inside. (I also like to eat this with foronto)

Gateau - sweet cakes

Zame - fried rice with onions and green pepper, but you can put whatever you want in it

Ceri - rice mixed with water, sugar, and yogurt or milk

Furufuru - Malian pancakes

I know this list makes me sound like a fat-fat, but I've lost 20 pounds since I've been here. The food here is realtively "healthy" because everything here is made fresh, there are no preservatives. Another thing about food here is that there is a lack of nutrients here. Although the people here eat a lot, they are not eating a lot of fruits and vegetbles. That is one thing that I miss TERRIBLY! I used to eat one banana, at least one apple, berries, carrots, tomatoes and lettuce every day. This week, I've had three bananas, one pound of watermelon, half of a pomegranate, and two tomatoes. The rest of my vitamins come from the sauces that are served with rice and my multivitamins.

1 comment:

  1. lol don't forget about your daily half of grapefruit! how could u forget about that?!

    ReplyDelete