Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What it feels like for a girl

Adama is finally going to University! I've been waiting for this day for months and I'm so happy for her. However, yesterday she told me that she was not going to Law School, but to another program called FLASH, to learn English. I was so confused and I inquired why she made this sudden change because I need her to make enough money to come and visit me! She said that Moussa made the decision for her. I asked her if this is what she wants to do and she said yes, but I don't quite believe it. As happy as I am to see her going to school, I am also enraged that Adama doesn't have the freedom to choose her own career! I guess it is a smart move for her to study English because I am here to help her. However, if American culture treated women as Malian culture does, I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of being here! Don't they see that truth, the beauty of women having the freedom to choose? Who knows, Adama could've been the best lawyer Mali has ever seen, but I guess we'll never know.

2 comments:

  1. aw is Adama coming to visit us?!

    and i've never heard u say "a snowball's chance in Hell"...

    ReplyDelete