Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lost in translation

Today, I had my first meeting about building a library at the Mayor's office. I had no idea what to expect, so I didn't prepare much for it and I'm glad that I didn't because in Mali, women don't run meetings if there are men present. Sooooo, the eldest man in the room ran the meeting, allowing people to speak when it was there turn and I presented the things that are needed for a library, according to the Ministry of Education. The meeting itself was unlike any meetinig I've attended in America. Malians are very vocal and active when they have the floor and I was trying to keep up with what was being discussed in Bambara and French. I admit, I'm a little disappointed in my language ability at this point in the game. I have my on-and-off-days, but I need more on-days! Like, I would really like to understand every single word that's being said because some important issues are being discussed. It's very frustrating and I don't want people to see me as incompetent, so pray for me y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment