Friday, July 1, 2011

Adaptation

With Jasmine being here, she showed me how much I've adapted to my environment.

Example #1
I used to fear, I mean FEAR cockroaches! I remember my first couple months where I refused to go to the toilet at night, because that's when the cockroaches came out. The latest I would go was at twilight, but even then, there was a lone cockroach now and then and I would retreat. Now, I go and I figured out that they don't like light or water, and if there's a rebel who won't respond to either, I kick 'em! Look at me 1 year later!

Example #2
My English has gotten really bad/French-like. I say things like "They took a drink at the bar," when it's "They had a drink at the bar," or "I'm going to prepare my bag," insteadof "I'm going to pack my bag." Hmmm....I can't think of another one, but Jas could tell you my speech is weird.

Example #3
I've gotten used to eating bad food. While Jasmine was here, we got served a lot of tege dege na (peanut sauce with leaves) over white rice. That has actually become one of my favorite staple dishes. Jasmine thought it was completely gross. I remember it being gross too, but when you're starving for protein, it's all good.

Example #4
I've become cold-shouldered. I've had so many issues with the women here, that anyone who has ever done me wrong gets the coldest treatment ever! I thought that I was doing this for survival, but Jasmine pointed out that I should be loving these women the most (I hate it when she's right!). I've decided to catch myself on this. I was bad, but it's how I adapted.

Example #5
I've gotten used to being dirty. However, that doesn't mean that I like it! It's so hard to stay clean here. I go to bed with dusty feet from walking on my concrete floor, I (sometimes) let dirty kids touch me and I buy street-food that's touched by stranger's hands, . Actually.....that doesn't sound to dirty, but it is.
I would like to give a 6th example, but I'm at a blank.

1 comment:

  1. lol i loved this list! i should think of some more examples for u. or i might email u about them lol

    i kno what u mean about the dirty feet! it's just sooo hard to keep them clean. it's literally impossible :( sadddd face

    ReplyDelete