Friday, July 1, 2011

Jasmine and I/1-year anniversary!!!!!!

God blessed me with a month of my sister's company and it was amazing! I'm still soaking it all in. Time seemed to go by fast and slow at the same time, but we used that time wisely.

We went across the country to see Dogon Country, where we climbed the cliffs to see ancient homes of cliff-dwellers and Djenne, where the largest mud brick mosque is situated. We went to the markets and observed the sites and smells, sometimes really gross. But where we spent most of our time was in my village.

I got to show Jasmine the life that I made and she experienced every thing that I deal with day after day. Because we spent so much time in village, she got to know my Malian family and friends and see how I have been living here for the past 12 months. It was amazing to see how her prissy-scaredy self had to quickly adopt to her new environment, just as I had so long ago. I really didn't give her any forwarning. Maybe that was mean of me, maybe not, but she got to experience the real deal.

I taught her how to draw water, how to take a bucket bath, how to speak some Bambara and how to relate with Malians. It was a very tiring task. Even though I took a break to be a host, I think that this month was the most tiring month I've had during my entire service. I had to constantly translate for her and make sure she was in good health and now, I'm exhausted. However, I'm also rejuvenated!

During my first year, I really didn't have an interest in improving my language skills. Mostly because, I was too busy trying to escape and keep my sanity with my horrible housing situation and trippy-malaria drugs that were causing me anxiety and depression. But, now my situation is so much better and I feel happier and Jasmine's coming has given me an extra boost to continue working in Mali and to better myself.
I thank God for the strength that He has given me this past year! Everything that I have gone through has made me a stronger person. And as my work has winded down for the summer, I pray that I won't waste my time, but use it to my advantage to prepare for my second and final year here.

For the summer, I want to improve my language skills, especially French, do a formation on neem-cream to combat against malaria and paint a world-map at the local high school. It's "Go-time," and I ask for your continual prayers from home as I start another year in Mali.

1 comment:

  1. yay language improvement! im so excited for you and the work you have ahead of you! you can do it with God's grace! I will be praying for you continuously :)

    ReplyDelete