Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dirtiest moment of my life!

The other weekend I was invited to visit my friend, Abdoulaye's home in Bamako. We've been friends for about a year now and he's helped me with my projects and I've assisted him in his English class. So, I was really excited to go visit him and his wife.

I around at his house around 12:30 and had planned to stay for lunch and leave in the evening, but he and his wife invited me to stay the night. I thought about saying my good-bye's, but then decided to stay and this is what led to the dirtiest moment of my life!

My friend is a teacher, and like all teachers, he is not rich, and his place showed that. It was a 2-room apartment in a grimy, crowded apartment complex. There was electricity, running water, but no plumbing system. It was like being in village, but on a much, much smaller scale, which is what made it so dirty. If someone is building an apartment complex with a community bathroom, I would think that to keep disease and all other grossness from forming, one would think that more than two toilets and two showers are needed.

When night time came, my friend's wife asked me if I wanted to bathe. To keep myself from saying that I wouldn't dare bathe there, I shamelessly said that I only bathe once a day and had done so that morning, luckily. Then as night came, I noticed that everyone wanted to bathe at the same time. And the place where people bathed, also served as a "pee-only" toilet. So, no thank you. But, as the night went on, I had to pee really, really bad.

So, I made my way to the toilet. I tried the shower/toilet, but there was a ton of sitting water after bath time. So I was left with the latrine. At this point, I hated my bladder, I really had to go. So, as I tippy-toed in, I saw the biggest spiders I've ever seen! I gripped to the side of the wall, but then I saw an albino cockroach (way better than seeing red ones)! I thought about making my retreat, but I wasn't going to make it through the night. So, I stepped on the pedastal and glanced down the latrine. And there, staring back at me was a rat! A RAT! The rat saw me! And I saw it, eating the pile of fecal matter that was left by the lady who went right before me. I grimaced and closed my eyes and relieved myself. I looked down once again, and the rat was gone, but OH MY GOSH! I couldn't decide whether to burst out laughing or crying out of disgust. I decided to laugh, and it was really funny, but that was the most disgusting moment of my life.

1 comment: