Monday, April 4, 2011

Cynicsm

I'm making plans for my house now. It's finished! It's over-due (again) by almost three weeks, but I now have a place to call home. I guess I should just keep reminding myself that I'm in Mali and keep my expectations low. Though, it's sad that I have to think that way. One thing that I've heard about PCVs is that those who serve in South America become politically active/aware, those who serve in Eastern Europe become alcoholics and those who serve in Africa become cynical.
I'm starting to see some truth in that statement. Typically, I'm an optimist, I still am, but I'm becoming more of a realist duriing my time in Mali. I believe that anyone can make a difference in this world, but if they don't want to, then nothing will be changed. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, but "How can the African-mindset be changed?"

Or, should it even be changed? Maybe this is the way it should be to keep order in the world. I'm definitely sure I'm not the first Westerner to think that, because it is so hard to work in Africa. Westerners are used to a faster pace of things and believe that "time is money," but that concept doesn't really exist here.
However, the beauty in that nonexistance is that there is more time for people. Even though I'm not always a fan, I understand the reasoning that people are important (lol). But sometimes, they have to realize that they are in a meeting room with a lot of people who are trying to get home. You can't take 10 minutes to greet the average-Mousa who just walked in, even if he is your best friend! I don't see this behavior changing at all, because it's ingrained in them.

Another issue is the mindset in education. I know I've already touched on this, so I'll just say a short statement about it. Most students go to school and sit, copy, sit, go home, eat, sleep, go back to school, sit, copy, sit, go home, do things, might have homework to do, but no studying is done. No real learning is done, only memorization from what I can see. How can this change? I don't see it changing...........

I'm such a cynic.

1 comment:

  1. ur brave for trying. im a cynic and ive never done or seen half the things u have

    ReplyDelete