Monday, April 4, 2011

I can't stand girls (I know, I'm one of them)

I never thought this would happen, but I am mad at Adama. She's been acting so weird/distant. I noticed it awhile ago, maybe around the time when I was having a fit over my house back in January. She's been talking to me, but she hasn't been telling me things and she hasn't been inviting me places and I don't why.

I mean, I'm a pretty polite person. I know how to say my "thank you's," and whenever I feel that I've offended someone, I try my best to apologize because I don't want any unnecessary drama. And I value my space, so I try to give people there's as well. So, I'm pretty sure it's not something I did, maybe it's something I'm not doing?
Lately, I've noticed her getting more fed up with me not knowing Bambara. And I admit, I've been a bit lazy with learning it mainly because I didn't have an environment to learn in. Also, learning languages is a bit difficult for me here because everything is done outside and it's always so loud. Also, I do live in a different world than her. I mean, I work outside of the house (sometimes), I have my own money and men treat me differently, so maybe there's some jealousy there too.

But, what really tipped me off to something being wrong is that she didn't invite me to three events in village during the past month. The first time, her husband Mousa asked me why I didn't go to some marriage. I said, no one told me there was one. And when Adama came back, he called her out on not inviting me. Then, she fakely invited and I said that I would go later with someone who had invited me. But, once we went, it was over.

The second time was for another marriage. Adama went with my other host mom, Rokia. I went with my host sister, Maima, who had invited me along. The third time, was for a baptism. This time, Adama went twice with Rokia and neither of them invited me to go! What the heck?! I was doing nothing all day and not once did they mention a baptism to me. And when I went later, this time by myself, the hosts asked me why I didn't come this afternoon. I told them that no one invited me along.

Like, how is that supposed to make me feel? I would never do that to my stagiere from another country. I'm already alone here, but to suddenly feel alone in the family I've been living with for months, just isn't right. And when Maima asked me why I didn't go to the baptism before, I said it was because Adama didn't invite me to go. I think I even heard my host dad ask Adama and Rokia why they didn't invite me. I consider it rude and inconsiderate and maybe I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Now there's just tension and neither of us wants to be the one to break the silence. Except, I do greet her and thank her for the food she serves me, because I'm not rude like that. What's going on?

1 comment:

  1. "I never thought this would happen, but I am mad at Adama"
    -actually uve been mad at her before lol

    ReplyDelete