Saturday, October 2, 2010

Prejudice

9/28/10

This morning, God gave me the perfect opportunity to do my laundry. The weather was overcast and there was a pleasant breeze. I told my sisters that today was the day I would do my laundry, and immediately, they told me to stop as I was going to draw my water and they ordered one of my sisters to get it. After she drew my water, I went to wash my clothes, but they told me to stop, and another sister came to scrub my clothes! Gosh! When are they going to let me do stuff for myself? I know I shouldn't be complaining, but this special treatment is a little too much for my humble spirit. Everyone gives up their seat for me when I enter the room, even the older women. It's too much! They get up and say "I sigi," and I say it right back to them insisting that they stay seated. They really don't expect me to do anything on my own. Back to doing my laundry, the only clean clothes I had left were a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. They already call me a "Clairo." I've also been called "Djeneba, la rouge," "Djeneba, la claire," but when they saw my even lighter legs, all Hell broke loose and the Tubab-chant began. I've never had so much attention drawn to the color of my skin and I wonder if the special treatment I'm receiving is based more on my skin color or the fact that I'm a guest? Sadly, I think it's the former. My sister, then gave me a tafe (skirt wrap) and told me it's bad for me to wear shorts. I asked her why men are allowed to wear shorts, but women cannot. She explained that married women can't wear shorts, but unmarried women can. So, then I asked her why I couldn't wear shorts and she said it's basically because of my lighter skin and to protect me from violent men. Of course, I knew all of this, but I wanted to hear her reasoning. Even though what she said is a little prejudice, I knew this was coming from a good heart. Every time I step out the house, I have men that want to marry me and she has had to tell-off a few guys in my defense. I wonder what the rape rate is here and if there are laws against it? And if there are, are they really enforced in such a male-dominated society?

No comments:

Post a Comment