Saturday, October 2, 2010

Today was the day that Adama was going to take her college entrance exam. Me, Adama, our brother Jakari and baby Dawa caught a citromen into As we were traveling, I asked Adama if where we were going to eat lunch, and she said a restaurant called, Amadine's and a friend was meeting us there. I knew the place very well and I was really excited because they serve Western-food! Once we arrived at the restaurant, I proceeded to walk in and order. I was starving and so as we waited for her friend, I ordered a hamburger that was 1,800 CFA (about $2.75). I looked over at Adama and Jak and asked what they were going to get. They only ordered drinks, because it was too expensive. I offered to buy them something to eat, but they refused. I was really confused because Adama was the one who suggested the restaurant. I should've said "Okay, let's go eat somewhere else," but Adama told me to go ahead and get something, while we waited for her friend, and they would get something afterward. As soon as I got my burger, I felt awful. I should've been less selfish and more assertive in suggesting we go somewhere else. The look on Adama's face was painful to look at. She looked angry and somewhat disgusted and I asked her what was wrong and she said that she was upset that her friend was late. She was probably thinking, "Look at this rich Tubab spending so much money on food!" She was on the phone with her friend a few times asking him where he was, so her story was somewhat believeable, but I don't think that was the only reason she was upset. This was the first time that I've put a line between us. A line that is so hard to cross. I offered some of my burger, but she said that she didn't like hamburgers. However, she kept asking me what it was that I ordered and how much it cost, so I knew that she couldn't know if she liked it or not. I didn't want to tell her the cost, but she kept asking, so I told her. I felt like a real douche. Later, I apologized because I felt so bad, but I was also upset that she suggested that WE eat there when she knew she couldn't afford it! So, it wasn't completely my fault, but I still felt awful. Now I know that I should just stick to doing Western-type things with my Western friends no matter if my Malian friends say that it's okay. Even though, my family is more well-off than others, they still don't have 1,800 CFA to spend on eating. This was my first real faux-pas.

No comments:

Post a Comment