Sunday, August 29, 2010

8/12/10

It's been a few days since I last wrote, but it's only because I've been so busy! My mind is on 24/7, switching back between English, French and Bambara. Actually, most of the time, my brain is in French mode. It's really tiring and can be frustrating, but everyone is having a lot of patience with me and they all cheer when I speak Bambara or understand what they're saying. I even get an occasional high-five, handshake thingy. This family treats me really well. I actually enjoy being in their company and they enjoy mine. I have the cutest little sibblings and handsome young brothers who draw my water for me every morning and evening. I also have a sister who should be on Mali's Next Top Model, if they had that. The people, in general, are very beautiful and their skin is flawless. Speaking of beautiful people, I have an uncle who is a pharmacist and we have really interesting conversations about the state of health care in Mali. I've picked his brain on why people don't wash their hands with soap, why people don't use tissue and why people eat with their hands. I've been having a great time. I've even made friends with a girl who sells woso (sweet potato fries) and pate (fried bread) and I get free snacks sometimes, but I pay her anyway and share with the little kids. Yesterday, I came to sit with my sister and she was holding her baby and as I walked up she started shouting "Tubabo." I was somewhat surprised to hear her call me that and I said "no, I'm not a Tubab. I'm an American." But she said "No, your skin is light," which is only partially true, b/c my skin is three-toned right now, haha! I began to explain to her that I'm African-American and many African-Americans have mixed heritage blah blah blah and I'm not French. And she accepted that explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment