Sunday, August 29, 2010

8/9/10

8/9/10
Today was my first full day at site! The day started off with a bucket bath and a breakfast of tea, bread and ceri. Then I met with Bakary, my homologue and he took me yalayalaing around the town to meet some very active people in the village. There are so many businesswomen here, I can’t get over how progressive they are in comparison to my homestay village. They are the same distance away from Bamako, in opposite directions, but they are so different. I like it here at lot. I can see the people being very receptive to whatever it is I’ll be doing. I have had one idea about what I’d like to do, and that is to encourage the youth to read and write in Bambara. I’ve had a few conversations with some of the youth about what language they prefer, and all of them have said French. It’s sad because, Bambara is their native tongue, they should take pride in knowing it and the fact that I have to learn this language, it just isn’t fair that they don’t know it. More deep thoughts on this topice will come later, but to continue on with my day, I have a visitor! She is an education volunteer, 30 km away from me, I just met her and she told me that she’s spending the night. Well, I guess PCV’s are family. So we spent the whole day with my homologue as he showed both of us around my site. He is so nice and attentive, something that I haven’t seen a lot in Malian men. I’m very lucky to have him as my “key to the city.” I met women who are presidents of their shea butter making company, women who have started their own day care businesses, women who work in offices. This place is pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment