Tuesday, August 31, 2010

8/27-28

8/27/10
Today was my language exam and I passed! That means, I can go to site on schedule instead of spending another week in hell at Tubaniso! I am so happy, because two weeks ago, my language was floundering, but God! I totally said a mercy prayer before-hand, and my conversation wasn’t perfect, but my examiner could sell I knew a little something, something. I forgot, last night one of my older brothers got married and I found out that he is divorced, which is looked poorly upon in Mali. Anyway, the wedding wasn’t anywhere near the status of an American wedding, but I learned later that because of Ramadan, they could not really celebrate it. But, a goat was killed in my brother’s honor. The bride wasn’t even there until later and there were no fancy clothes or vow exchanges. It was like any other night, but more people were over and they watched a French movie. I was really disappointed, because I wanted a party, but I ate well yesterday. I had eggs and bread for breakfast, macaroni for lunch, moni for snack and cou and goat for dinner. And today there was more goat and I had it with the most delicious spaghetti I’ve ever had or maybe I’ve just been deprived of good food for so long. All three meals scored in the 7-8 range. Why couldn’t they have cooked this well before?

8/28/10
Today I left homestay and I was a little sad. My mom shook my hand with her left hand, which is usually a bad thing, but this time it meant I have to come back, so that she can correct her wrong  Really, really sweet gesture. I might actually make the effort to visit them in the future.

2 comments:

  1. that is niceeeee.

    mom wants to know what is cou? and do u like the taste of goat? what does that taste like. btw, mom is disgusted that u r eating goat. the previous questions should be read with an incredulous voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Sorry! Blogging is really exhausting. So, cou is this bitter tuber that tries to act like a yam an goat is surpisingly good. I'll have to post pictures of the goats head!

    ReplyDelete