Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 3/4

Yesterday, our plane arrived at 11:00pm last night, we arrived at Tubaniso (Peace Corps Mali headquarters) at 2:00am, and went to bed around 4:00am.Today was our first full day in Mali! It’s rainy season here and it is so humid. We started off our day at 8:00am with a typical French breakfast of baguette, peanut butter and strawberry jam with a cup of tea. It reminded me of a typical French breakfast. After breakfast, we began our first session with introductions of the entire Mali-Peace Corps staff. There are so many people here to help us acclimate to this new and exciting culture. We were given a general introduction to the history of Peace Corps Mali, the household rules and given our malaria pills. Afterwards, we had a delicious Malian meal of rice, “beef” stew, salsa and bananas. The food here has been pretty good so far. The rice here est tres bon and there is always a delicious “beef” vegetable mixture placed on top. This seems to be the typical meal for lunch and dinner. I haven’t gotten sick or had a visit from “Monsieur D” Mr. Diarrhea yet. Let’s hope it won’t come, but if not now, it probably will later. I have to go to training now. Training is quite intense!

3 comments:

  1. Lol @ Monsieur D! I really appreciate your posts--it really makes me feel like I am there for the brief time I am reading about your experiences. I hope you get the placement you want-sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is beef always "beef"? is it not really beef?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it's beef. It could be goat???

    ReplyDelete