Thursday, July 22, 2010

The facts of life

Today was a very tiring day, but I had a very interesting conversation with my host brother, Abdraman. He really wants to go to America, as I think most people in the world want. He likes what the Peace Corps is about and was wondering if Malians could do the same thing in America. Unfortunately, this will never be because 1. Mali does not have the funds for this endeavor 2. the system is corrupt and it is difficult for people to obtain passports and visas unless they know someone within the system and 3. America is not a developing country. One thing that Abdraman has going for him is the fact that he speaks English and he is attending university. I believe that if he excells at his English, he will have a greater chance of making it to America on scholarship for graduate school in English. As an Education volunteer, I have to believe that education is he key. I really want the best for Abdraman. Why shouldn't he have the same opportunities as me? During my time here, I look forward to helping him achieve his dream, even if it is just talking to him in English, but he must promise to let me practice my Bambara as well.

1 comment:

  1. Jade,
    You're right about the "exchange" between countries. It would never work here because Mali has nothing to offer us......I don't think.
    However, do continue to encourage your brother because In Christ, all things are possible.

    ReplyDelete