Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What is an American?

So, for dinner tonight, I had macaroni w/misisogo (beef) that I saw being cooked earlier today and I still ate it. We had macaroni yesterday and I told Djenneba how much I liked it, so guess this is why it was made for me again. However, I've noticed that not everyone is eating the same thing as me. I'm served a special dish, with meat. I should backtrack to point out the significance of being served meat. In Malian culture, white people are known as Tubob's and Malians associate America with white people. So, when I introduce myself as an American, people are confused because some of my features aren't necessarily African. One person thought that I was Chinese or Mexican. I don't know how you can confuse the two, but to them, I was not an American. Anyway, Tubob's are given special treatment, so I assume that they categorize me as a Tubob because I am given meat and a lot of it. However, in this heat, it is near impossible to eat a lot of food, plus I'm still getting over my sickness. I would really appreciate a nice salad or some fruit. The Malian diet consists of carbs, carbs, carbs! Awful!

Another noteworthy event of the day is tbat I was able to ask Djenneba if she went to the market and if she sells things, in Bambara, and she understood me! I tried to talk a lot today because we were taught so much in two days and homestay is for practicing speaking. I'm really proud of myself and I can see Djennenba's countenance changing toward me. I mean, she's always nice, but now I can ask her questions about her life and I am making a great effort to understand what's being said in conversation. Djenneba is being quite patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment