Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Greetings

One thing that is already getting on my nerves are the greetings and the goodbyes. You have to say them to EVERYONE you see. We don't do this in America. It's nice, but it takes too much time, and in American, "time is money." Also, the greetings are not just "hello", they are: "hello" "how are you?" "how's your family?" "how's your mother?" "how's your father?" "your brother?" on and on if you let it go on and then you have to say goodbyes and blessings. It's exhausting. I'm also not the type to speak to people I don't really know and we are trained from a young age, not to talk to strangers. This is something I've had to make a big effort to do. Greetings are a really big deal in Mali, so I make sure that I do them every morning, afternoon and evening.

5 comments:

  1. Good evening, Jade! How are you? How is your family? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lizzie! I'm doing pretty well. I had another bout of sickness, but I'm alive lol! I'm actually away from my family for a few days. I'm on "vacation" at the peace corps headquarters. hence, the internet access. i go back to homestay on saturday and i'm not exactly excited to go back. it's just so dirtyyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in france it is similar, u r supposed to greet EVERYONE
    i thought that was fake lol
    u have to go around the room and KISS everyone
    well not literally kiss, but the bisous bisous thing
    and khadejaah told me about how in arabic culture ur not supposed to just say hi, u should have a conversation with the person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khadeejah is right. You have to greet everyone as if you actually care. I'm definitely being fake, b/c i don't even know these people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, i was just mocking the greeting thing when i asked about the family, but still good to get an answer! i just moved to a new apartment and got way behind on your blog, i've gotta catch up now!

    ReplyDelete