Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homestay

These next few posts are from the last 2 weeks.

07/10/10

Today was the first day of homestay. I am living with the chief of the village (dugutigi) He told me himself that he is a very important man, haha. There are 1,050 people in this village, it is considered small. I live within a concession, which is a compound composed of separate compartments. I have my own compartment and it's just enough space for my suitcase, trunk, bike, bed, water filter, bucket, salidaga and a small chair. The chief has three wives, one of which is named Djenneba. She is my host mom and therefore, I am her namesake. I am now a daughter of the dugutigi!

Here are some things I observed on my first night: the men and women eat separately. they eat dinner around 8:00pm.

During meal time, I usually sit with my host mom. I try and use the Bambara that I have learned. Sometimes, they understand me, sometimes they don't, but they always get a good laugh out of talking to me. Today I learned how to ask " Can you braid my hair?" I'm supposed to get it done tonight, but a storm is coming. The storms here are no joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment