Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Free day

Today was our first day off in village! All the volunteers were sooooo excited to have our Tubob-time climbing the rocks. We found this one spot and we named it "America" haha. It was the first place we found where the breeze didn't stop blowing and it was soooo refreshing. We chilled in "America" all morning, recapping on our first week with our families and playing cards. It was so nice to get away from the monotony of our schedule of eating with our families and going to class all day. At noon, we headed back to our home to spend time with our families. Tonight, at dinner, I realized that I am like a "third sex." Even though I am in a place where women and men are not seen as equal, my American "Tubob" status gives me some leeway in this structure. I'm allowed to wear pants, eat with the men, offered all the meat and I'm always offered a nice chair. This reverts me back to a conversation with my host brother, who speaks English. He asked me why I don't look like the other Americans. We had a 20 minute conversation about African American history and interracial relationships. I think he got it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having a great time reading your blog, Jade. I'm so glad you're getting a chance to update it! It's really interesting to read about the issues of race and gender in Mali and how you are treated differently. Sounds like quite an experience so far!

    ReplyDelete